Monday, January 4, 2010

Black Holes and Quasars


A few years ago, while writing for Southern Living Magazine, I met a young rock singer in Charlotte, NC named Deanna Lynn Campbell. Although she'd had some success, mostly she was known in and around her hometown. I thought she had an interesting story, and lobbied to tell it in our Carolina Living section.

We got it in, although not without a little bit of convincing. Deanna - with her short spiky bleached blonde hairdo, her electric guitar, and her confessional, sometimes hard lyrics -  didn't exactly resemble the reserved, genteel Southern moms who were the best known constituency of the magazine's audience. Still, she impressed me as a kindly, thoughtful soul, an artist making her art because something inside compelled her. She loves her work and happily shares it.

The reason I bring this up, is that when I started my little podcast, Media Talking Media, I asked Deanna if she would allow me to use a couple of pieces from one of her songs, Black Holes and Quasars, for theme music. It took her a few weeks to get back to me, resulting in two different pieces of theme music for the first three MTM installments (that's another story). 

 But when she did get back to me, Deanna Lynn graciously allowed me to use her music. The result is on display on the abbreviated episode 4. She didn't have to do it, but, as I said, she's happy to share her work.  I just wanted to say thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment