Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Getting My Hands Dirty


Now that I'm looking for work, the question inevitably comes, "What are you gonna do?"
Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure what I will do to make a living. That depends on a lot of factors. But one thing I can say (after mentioning freelance media work --to make sure people don't think I've completely forgotten what I do), is that I figure on doing some carpentry. Building some furniture and trying to convince people to give me money for it.

That's a head scratcher for some folks, since, as a desk jockey, it may seem incongruous that I would want to get my hands dirty. But I love building things. Even when I'm in over my head, even when my project goes through what I like to call "the ugly period" -- a term I developed when I was painting, to describe that stretch where I want to throw the canvas out the window - even then, I love building things. I love it so much that no matter what else I do, I plan to keep taking lumber and trying to make it into something useful, lasting, and if possible, nice to look at.

It's not about perfect classical form, exactly, although I try to learn from what's always worked for the experts, the master furniture makers, the pros. For me, it's form-follows-function. I want it to work first and foremost. If it's a chair, I want it to be comfortable and not fall apart when you sit in it. If it's a table, I want it to be level, to hold your food or your lovely beverage, or your computer, or sewing machine, or computer, or whatever. THEN I want it to look nice. Not cookie-cutter, franchise-showroom-nice, but distressed-Restoration-Hardwaresque-for-less-nice. Like it was built by hand. Which it was.

It would be great if I can move some tables or cabinets or chairs. I won't be able to afford to build many if I don't. But even if not, I'd still have to do it. I feel compelled.

This is now what passes for art for me. But it's work, fulfilling work, and work that serves a purpose. It makes me happy that I can build a table. Putting food on it is another matter. But I figure that will come.

3 comments:

  1. You are being way too modest, and I like the table, whats it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly. The table is actually a sewing table, sturdy enough to hold a machine. It's about 4 feet wide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work? Voluntarily? Y'know what they say: Hard work never hurt anyone, but why take chances. :D

    I try to live by these words. ;-)

    ReplyDelete