Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How Ironic!

This is what I get for trying to be clever.

I named my blog "IroNick" as a play on the word, "ironic," which, sometimes, I am. I thought it would be kind of witty, like when I called my old newspaper column "No Kidding," even though, most of the time, I was. Kidding, that is.

So, imagine my surprise to find that some people were reading the title as "IRON Nick," conjuring up images of me in a pose like a bodybuilder, or holding up a torch or spear like Birmingham's oldest resident pagan idol.

Ha, ha, Mr. Cleverpants. Bet you wish you had opted for clear, now, don't you?

Actually, the whole misunderstanding reminds me of the movie, That Thing You Do! In it, the insufferable lead singer names the band, "The Oneders," as a punny homonym on "The Wonders," which simultaneously points out the band's uniqueness. All it did was lead people to call the band "The O-Needers," until Tom Hanks insisted they change the spelling to "The Wonders."

I however, haven't seen Tom Hanks around here. So I will not be changing the blog's name, especially since the misunderstood pronunciation of "IroNick" leads people to an image of me as being strong, resilient, tough. That seems kind of nice, and complimentary, especially these days.

So that's what I get for trying to be clever.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it ironic...don't you think?

    I love it Nick...and I loved the Oneders. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thought it was Iron Nick. Interesting that I wouldn't think you were playing with words. I should know better....Ironick that I didn't figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in as one of the ones who thought it was Iron-Nick, I just figured it was yet another super hero alter. But Ironic works too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had you, brother. But get the spear anyway.

    ReplyDelete